New Blog Posts:

Friday, September 28, 2007

Free Raleigh, NC Getaway

I love living in North Carolina! When we first moved here, my two older girls were only aged 3 and 4 and one of the questions they asked as they looked on their new home is, "Mom, who owns all these trees?". We were able to answer them truthfully with "God and you, own all these trees". This is God's country indeed.

I've been a city girl most of my life, but I started life in the farms and under trees. So while I was looking forward to a slower paced lifestyle in North Carolina, I was pleasantly surprised that the Triangle (Triangle is the term used to describe the area covered by the cities of Durham, Raleigh and Chapel Hill) offered all the things we appreciated living in a big city. Theatre, museums, arts, sports, you name it, you can find it here. My husband being an artist, this is a great place to be for the arts.

Most big city dwellers will be surprised to know that most of the museums here are free. When the girls were smaller and our income was also smaller, I entertained them at the various museums around the city for free! We'd go spend the day exploring nature, art and history. We had fun, learned a lot, and it was all for free! What a treasure, and I'm surprised when I find out that some people who have been here for years do not even know this secret about their city.

For instance, a couple of years back we got to see the Rodin sculpture collection, then later it was the Monet in Normandy exhibit. This year, the NC Museum of Art presents Landscapes from the Age of Impressionism and we will be going to see that one too for sure.

I almost hate to tell other people about our little hidden treasure here in the south, but if you'd like to come and have a tast of our Southern hospitality, culture and beauty, you may be able to come here and sample the flavors for free too. A FREE Raleigh Getaway is up for grabs if you're interested. Sign up to enter the giveaway and you may get:
  • One night accommodations for two at the Courtyard by Marriott Raleigh Crabtree Valley

  • $25 gift certificate to Bloomsbury Bistro

  • Free VIP admission for two to Rum Runners

  • 2 tickets to the North Carolina Theatre

  • 2 tickets to the N.C. Museum of Art's Landscapes from the Age of Impressionism

  • 2 tickets to Dinosaurs: Ancient Fossils, New Discoveries at the N.C.
    Museum of Natural Sciences


  • Fall is a great time in Raleigh. The leaves are changing colors, showing off their yellows and reds instead of the usual green. Festivals abound, among them the State Fair that is coming up. The weather is cooler. Fall is just a great time to visit Raleigh. Sign up for the Fall Getaway or just come on down!



    1 comment:

    mumshens said...

    Oh JMom, your offer is so irresistible.. I only imagine what Durham, Raleigh and Chapel Hill looks like every time I read a Nicholas Sparks novel.

    One day I'd like to come and visit but first I have to secure a US tourist visa :)

    Your girls are so lucky to live there with all those trees..and other God-made treasures.