New Blog Posts:

Friday, February 01, 2008

Being There

I took the day off today. No particular reason, I didn't have a doctor's appointment or anything liket that. I was just tired. It has been really hectic at work and I just needed time to just do nothing. Well, there was the thing about attending a small class play at my daughter's school. I could have taken my lunch break to go see it though, if I were to have worked.

It was a small class production about the Lost Colony in North Carolina, and her whole class have been working all week; learning their lines and designing the backdrop. She didn't make a big deal about it, she simply mentioned that they were having a play and parents are invited. She actually made a point of letting us know that she didn't really have a big part, it was more as an extra. She only had two lines. She said she wanted it that way. She got that introvertedness from me :)

My husband and I went to see ther show even though she down played it. We always try to go to any performance they have. It was a short fifteen minute play, it was cute. She was beaming when we told her how well she did and that we heard her loud and clear all the way from the back of the room. Then we noticed that the little girl who had played the queen had her head down, the yellow paper crown still perched on her head, and was crying. When the teacher went to comfort her and asked her what was wrong, she said her mommy didn't come.

My heart just broke for that little girl. My husband went over and gave her a hug and told her what a great performance she gave. Everyone did, some of the parents too. But it wasn't good enough. She wanted her mom to see her play the queen.

I don't know why her mother wasn't there. I'm sure she had a good reason for not being there and I wouldn't presume to judge her. Seeing that little girl with tears streaming down her face, made me even more determined to be there for my girls for all their accomplishments or failures, great or small. I hope they don't ever have to scan the crowd to know that I am there. I hope they get to the point that they just know... I am there. Always.

1 comment:

Tara @ Feels Like Home said...

The worst part of your story is that there was nothing anyone could do to comfort that little girl. It's heartbreaking.