New Blog Posts:

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Don't Forget to Vote!


This week is the last to vote early here in Durham, NC and next Tuesday is already the big day! Can you believe it?

My husband and I went and voted early last week. It was actually one of the most exciting voting experience I ever had. Most of the time voting is pretty somber and just plain common, like going to the ATM or grocery store. You go in punch a few buttons, you're done, you go on to something else.

This year, it's different. There is excitement in the air; people are going to the polls in record breaking numbers. When we went to vote, there were people in the parking lot directing traffic. The usual poll campaigners are on the sidewalk handing out fliers. The drive up voting station was set up. Yes, there was a drive up voting for people who can't get out of their cars easily like the handicapped and elderly.

When you go in, there are plenty of volunteers to assist you. When I finally got my ballot and my husband and I were in our booths filling them out, there was suddenly cheering. A few seconds later, I hear an intelligible shout and another cheer goes up. I asked my husband, "what are they cheering for?" he said the guy is shouting "First time voter!" everytime one walks through the door. This has never happened before in the more than twenty years that I have been going to the polls.

I was reading on the news that this election year will also break the number of first time voters going out to vote. There are a couple of young guys (not too young, probably in their 30's) in our neighborhood who told my husband that this is the first year they are registered to vote. I think it's awesome that people are more apt to vote this year than previous years.

I can't wait until next week! DON'T FORGET TO GO VOTE! I don't care who you vote for, just go.

No comments: