New Blog Posts:

Sunday, March 14, 2010

A Naruto Obsession

Two of my daughters are big fans of Naruto. If you don't know what Naruto is, it is a Japanese manga comic book. My daughters and their friends are into manga and anime and Naruto is one of their favorite characters. See, Naruto is a teenage ninja warrior who like most teens, is also still finding who he is.

Manga, as I've said, is simply a genre of comic books that originated in Japan and are now hugely popular among American kids. The Naruto series has sold millions here and in Japan and it is well liked because of the engaging story line and illustrations. My daughters can spend a whole afternoon browsing the graphics section of our local book store reading through their favorite episodes. Most times, they buy at least a couple of books to take home with them and they are not cheap! They average about $10 per book and they can go through them in an hour or so. Good thing they also like to keep them in their book collection. My daughters have hundreds of manga books on their bookshelves and every time I look at them, I can't help but cringe at the amount of that investment. Well, I don't know that 'investment' is a good word to describe their collection of books, but they enjoy it so I leave them alone. I guess they could be obsessed with worse things. I'm just waiting until the day that they can support their own habit.

No comments: