New Blog Posts:

Thursday, April 19, 2007

How sweet it is

Sweet Onion SpaghettiI grew up eating Southern food before I even knew that there was such a distinction. This is owed to my step-father who is not really a Southerner as he was born and raised in Louisville, Kentucky, but he, as probably most African-Americans in the north, had deep roots in the south. I took it for granted that all Americans ate grits for that is what he cooked for breakfast most days. He would cook stewed apples and stewed tomatoes as side dishes. He made his famous beef soup as we always called it but later found out it is called Brunswick Stew in the south. One of the weirdest things he cooked, and I've come to love it since, is his sweet spaghetti and fish. Now this is just downright foreign to my way of eating fish. I don't think it's a southern thing either as I have never known anyone here eating their fish with spaghetti. Around here, they gotta have their hush puppies or cornbread when eating fish. So this must be a midwest kind of thing sort of like his eating chili with spaghetti. Now that one, I never did get used to but am intrigued by nonetheless.

Lately, I have been thinking about my step-dad. I don't know why. Maybe because the anniversary of his passing and his birthday just passed. Maybe because today is Asi's birthday and how he would have loved to see the young lady she has become. Or maybe it was the fried catfish that just didn't seem right with any other side dish. I don't know.... I just had to have my fix of his sweet and spicy spaghetti with my catfish. As I ate, I could almost hear him across the table talking to me. The spiciness makes my eyes moist as I remember one of the sweetest human beings ever to cross my path. So I share with you this very simple, unpretentious recipe that to me is coming very close to comfort food.

Click here for the recipe.

6 comments:

Ebb Tide said...

Wow, what a combination! Spaghetti and cat fish. I love cat fish. Will try it with your recipe.
You might like to viw my art blog too:

http://forever-art.blogspot.com/

Omom said...

I miss him, too!
HUGS!

Anonymous said...

I'll try this after my SBD syndrome..hahaha!

Happy weekend!

HiPnCooLMoMMa said...

parang alam ko na ang lasa nyan...dito kasi sa pinas pag may party, we serve spaghetti (sweet din) for the kids, siempre for adults naman, parating may fish fillet...not bad =)

Anonymous said...

he must have been a sweet step-dad. it's good that he left recipes to remember him by. :) the recipe sounds good- I will give it a try.

Anonymous said...

You're very lucky to have had a sweet step dad.

Will check out this recipe. Thanks, JMom!