New Blog Posts:

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

I love yah, but sometimes I hate yah

Sisterhood is another one of those love/hate relationships. I grew up with two sisters; three girls in one room, in one house. We had our share of of loves and hates, believe me. At times the moments of hate seem to take over. I don't know how my poor mother stood it. Well, actually, I do know how she fared. I remember hair falling out and lots of drugs. lol! just kidding about the drug part. I do remember her hair started falling out in clumps leaving bald patches in her scalp, for no apparent, medically related reason. It was just stress. Stress of raising three teenage girls. Can you imagine?

Well, twenty or so something years later, look at me! I'm in the same spot as my mother was. I have three girls, two of them teenagers. All I can say is, I count my blessings everyday that they are not like me and my sisters were. I hear compliments numerous times from total strangers how they are impressed with how my girls get along. During this walk (see photo) was one of them. They just held hands through most of the route, just because they felt like it. Sure they have their moments when they just can't stand to be around each other. They vie for individual attention; wanting to leave the others behind so they can have their private time with mom or dad or grandma or aunts.

With summer vacation in full swing and nothing really for them to do until they go to Auntie S' house at the end of the month, hubby and I were thinking we will have a houseful of irate and bored teenagers. I'm glad to say we totally underestimated our girls. They have been fine. Loud at times, but otherwise getting along just fine. The youngest one is the main trouble maker. She cures her boredom by picking on her sisters and just generally bugging them. She nags them to fix her something to eat every two hours. She gets right under them when they are trying to do some reading. She rough houses with them when all they want to do is watch tv, and starts whining about getting on the computer as soon as she sees one of them in front of it. I've really been expecting to come home one day and find the girl tied up in a sack. But no, her big sisters tolerate her craziness and even play along with her. They find her something to read, they fix her healthy stuff to eat, and oblige her 'moments'. I don't know that I was ever that kind to my younger sisters so yeah, I do count my blessings.

Now how long will this moment last? Who knows. But while I have it, I will savor it and worry about my own hair falling out later.

No comments: