New Blog Posts:

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Johnny Depp is Sweeney Todd

Johnny Depp has been one of my long time favorite actors. I grew up during the eighties, so yeah, I even remember 21 Jump Street. His first starring role as Edward Scissorhands hooked me to watch all his subsequent movies. He has a knack for choosing quirky roles that don't always highlight his looks but the characters have a great deal of substance. I like that about his choices. I like that looks don't seem to be important to him. Obviously. Just look at what he's done with Captain Jack Sparrow in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. Never a dull moment! The girls and I watch the DVDs over and over again.

Recently, we found Edward Scissorhands on DVD and the girls finally got to see it. They loved it too! Especially the parts where he does all the topiary sculptures. My youngest daughter just got the biggest kick out of that. I personally like the interaction between Edward and Peg and how she drew him out and took him in to her family. The Pirates of the Caribbean series is a huge favorite at our house though, it is a sure way to get everyone laughing. I marvel at how, even as gross and stinky looking as the Captain Jack character is, the heroine and the audience just can't help falling in love with him. I think that charisma has a great deal to do with the actor and not just the character.

Now Johnny Depp and Tim Burton who also directed Edward Scissorhands are back together again in a new movie, the film adaptation of the hugely popular Stephen Sondheim musical, Sweeney Todd! I love period movies and from watching the trailer, I already know I'm going to love this movie too. If you would like to take a peek at the next Johnny Depp hit, visit the official Sweeney Todd movie site. You can also visit Sweeney Todd on MySpace to get additional information about the movie and be updated on the progress of its release.

It's due to come out this Christmas, so you know what we'll be doing over Christmas vacation :)

No comments: